• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 primary clutch damage

B
Sep 30, 2009
Spirit Lake, IA
In the title, I meant to say drive clutch.
Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what could have caused the knicks and gouges in the drive clutch assembly. This is an 09 M8 with 300 miles that I have recently purchased.
Also look at the wear on the yellow spring and let me know what you think.
Inside of the engine compartment, it does not look like anything had a major failure.
The belt cover is the only thing I can think that could have fallen down into the drive clutch, but the cover is unharmed. That of course does not mean that the cover could not have been replaced.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DSC04180.jpg DSC04181.jpg

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Pictures are a bit blurry.

But could be the spanner to hold the clutch for removal.

Don't know about the marks on the spider. If the clutch was pulled off the sled, someone took it apart and shimmed the spider it could easily have those marks. If they weren't careful.

On second thought. I bet the mark on the spider was cause by someone sticking a screwdriver in there to pry the clutch open to check the weight bushings.

Just a thought.

Thunder

B
Sep 30, 2009
Spirit Lake, IA
M8 Drive clutch

I know it is hard to see in the pictures, but the knicks/gouges are all around on each of the spider legs. It looks as if something was laid on top while the drive clutch was operating.

The paint missing on the end of the spring could be caused from the flex in the spring when it is being compressed. If the spring shows any kind of wear in the center I would take off the cover and inspect the bushing. Heat from the clutchs can also show added wear to springs.

Hope this helps If there is anything else I can help you with let me know
Jeff
Gold CatMaster Mechanic
www.FunOutfitters.com
Free Technical Support Line: (866) 531-0123

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Paint missing on the spring is just form use. I replace my primary springs every year and most of the paint is gone.

Id say that your right is guessing the belt cover was not install right and fell on to the primary. to me it looks like it was spinning and hiting something. From experince i know you can get a lot of marks real quick and it doesnt even make a lot of noise.

Premium Features