• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 Mcat 600 EFI is really hard to pull backwards

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
The sled just doesn't like being pulled backwards, the track refuses to rotate most of the time you have to drag and it takes 2 people! My slides were rather warn so I replaced them thinking it may make it slide better but no difference.. The brakes don't seem to be grabing when not engaged what else could it be? The sled doesn't have reverse and man is hell to get her out of the garage she rolls back when unloading from the tilted trailer but if you don't keep the momentum up when it hits flat your hosed. Thoughts?

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
I've had the same problem (more or less) on my 99 600 PS. Haven't tried pulling backwards, but does it pulling forwards and sometimes throttling forward it seems like the brake is hung up. I'm convinced the problem is the track has precurved itself from sitting. This is my backup so it sometimes doesn't really move for 8 - 10 months. While I store it on a stand, I don't de-tension the track. To test I put the sled up on stand, took off the belt and turned by hand. Would turn OK then turn hard. Marked the hard spots and they repeated. I'm convinced those are spots in the track where it curved around rear wheel or drivers and has now taken that curved set. When it drops that spot back around the wheels it doesn't like to move from that spot. I can even see it in the track some now that I know what I'm looking for. I assume some of it is the track is now 10 years old and is losing some flexibility. Figured if I ever got it out on the snow for a day or two and got the track warmed up good that it would straighten itself out. I am more careful now when I put it away as well. Have found that if you spin the track on the stand it will almost always stop at the same spot. I now make sure it doesn't. I could be all wet, but that sure looks like my issue.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I have this same problem with my racer. The track is not too tight, it's not catching on the hifax, it just seems to not want to spin the sec. backwards.

I don't ride the sled often so it's not heartbreaking, but I have a sled deck so it's a PITA when I do ride it. Once it gets onto the steep section of the deck ramp it does ok, but still has a lot of friction.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
how do I adjust the track? The problem was happening before I switched the hifaxes so I don't think it's them catching, but I think I cut them at an angle I'll have to double check tomorrow the sled is at my buddies house right now

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
There is two bolts one on each side on the rear idler wheels loosen of the locking nuts and adjust each side the same (measure), do this while on a stand check your track deflection by pulling down on it you should be able to get about two inches of clearance between your track and rails (they say to use ten pounds of weight just be your own judge on that one), tighten the locking nuts back up and then spin the track (running) shut the machine off and check the position the distance from the outside of the track to the wheels should be the same on both sides. I think it should be in your manual if ya got one.

Last edited:
Premium Features