• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to do?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
So where is my money best spent? here are the options I am considering.
Y pipe $180
20/46 gearing $150
Wildchild post $210
I do have a good riser set up now so the post is not really something I am thinking I will do.

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I am doing the post on an '03 1M, so wait and see what you think before you buy one....

Why just a Y pipe?? Do you have an SLP single yet?? V-Force reeds?? The single and reeds work awesome!! I have a set of V-Force reeds you can have, just need to replace a reed (probably get V-Force to warranty them if you try hard enough). The bad reed really is not even that bad....

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
Cat's pipe is pretty darn good right out of the box and most will tell you the y-pipe on an aftermarket system is where you get the bang. I was running a full Speedwerx pipe set on mine when a tree got mad and crunched the pipe. I had the stock pipe ceramic coated and put it on with the SW y-pipe and the thing pulled just as hard with this setup as the full SW pipe set.

I am also running a WC post, not the full forward mount but 2 inch up and 1 inch forward and will tell you he makes a tremendous product.

John

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
So where is my money best spent? here are the options I am considering.
2.5 Twin Pipes
220/46 gearing $150
1Wildchild post $210 forward mount is a must
I do have a good riser set up now so the post is not really something I am thinking I will do.

This is the places i would spend the $$$

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Cat's pipe is pretty darn good right out of the box and most will tell you the y-pipe on an aftermarket system is where you get the bang. I was running a full Speedwerx pipe set on mine when a tree got mad and crunched the pipe. I had the stock pipe ceramic coated and put it on with the SW y-pipe and the thing pulled just as hard with this setup as the full SW pipe set.

And you did side by side comparison?? SLP uses the stock Y-pipe.

We have compared:
- '03 1M with SLP pipe versus '03 1M stock
- '04 1M EFI with SLP pipe versus '04 1M EFI stock

Results:
- On hardpack flat or uphill, the sleds were dead even
- Climbing in powder, the SLP dominated the stock sled

And everyone that rode both said the stock one felt like it pulled harder (think this is due to the stocker pulling heavier weight), but in the end the SLP pipe dominated. So I guess if you like hardpack, keep it stock!! :) Also, the weight savings is very noticeable....

Struther's (Carl's Cycle) porting with SLP pipe and reeds is really impressive!!

Last edited:

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
first thing you need to go after is the forward mount post....im tellin you man, you are gonna wonder why you never got one earlier

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
And you did side by side comparison?? SLP uses the stock Y-pipe.

We have compared:
- '03 1M with SLP pipe versus '03 1M stock
- '04 1M EFI with SLP pipe versus '04 1M EFI stock

Results:
- On hardpack flat or uphill, the sleds were dead even
- Climbing in powder, the SLP dominated the stock sled

And everyone that rode both said the stock one felt like it pulled harder (think this is due to the stocker pulling heavier weight), but in the end the SLP pipe dominated. So I guess if you like hardpack, keep it stock!! :) Also, the weight savings is very noticeable....

Struther's (Carl's Cycle) porting with SLP pipe and reeds is really impressive!!

Just my own sled without an SLP equipped to compare to. I wasn't saying the pipe was bad just answering his question.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I had a slp single, It sucked!! I fough it for 2 years before jerking it off and selling it. The stock pipe is lots better then the slp.
i am really leaning to the gearing change.
I already have v force reeds.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I am running the power claw on both sleds. It is rediculas sick in the fairview snow! I am there every day after a storm! My boss knows that when it snows I get sick the next day!
I drive a Black and tan 2000 F-350 crew cab long bed. Sometime i have a top it on sometimes not. Pulling a 27 foot haulmark with a pole mount transformer / propane tank holder mounted on the v.

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
The forward mount post is a must have! Your riser that you have does not compare! Seriously! It is a night and day differance between the two!

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
RIXSTER- What kind of difference did you notice when you changed the reeds. I havent done that yet but am considering it.

Vforce reeds made my 03 900 alot snappier definetely reccomend doing it. The 04 and new have different reeds though, and are supposidely alot better than the stock 03's...

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Go for the reeds, Just the stock 04 and later will do wonders to the 03's The 03's had 8 mm opening, And 04 and later went to 11 mm. Just bend the stockers to 11.5 mm and try it out! AC said it is not only a top end improvement but low end and mid really wakes up! Take out the airbox horns and cowl induct thru the tach hole. "This engine needs to breathe" Then do the wildchild post!

MG

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Have you tried the SLP Single as well?? That's what I am talking about, not the twins.

Yeah, I ran slp twins for a year. Burned down twice on the mag side. Even 3 jets richer. I just could not find a happy spot with jetting on the twins.
After that is when I ran a SLP single. My motor would loose rpm on climbs with the single. I fought my clutches for 1.5 years before i decided it was the pipe. Ripped the pipe of went back to stock and hod no issues holding rpms. Maybe I don't know what I am doing with the clutches but every setup I tried was from forum members suggestions.

Premium Features