• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is this a crack or just casting????

S

shanderson62

Sep 12, 2009
bonney lake wa
03 mountain cat 900. broke a piston on the mag side. Split the crankcase to put in new crank seals and found this.... It looks to me like a crack. Right behind this "crack" is the coolant jacket. I have not found a reason why the piston broke yet, but if this is a crack then problem solved... thanks

IMG00166.jpg IMG00167.jpg IMG00168.jpg

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Spray some carb cleaner on the area then take a blow gun and blow at a 90* angle to the area. The air won't blow the cleaner out if it's a crack as it will show up as a wet line >>>>.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Or, take some metal grindings place on the inside of case and put a low power magnet on the out side, if the grindings pull up to the line then most likely it's a crack. Cheap magna flux method.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Was there any coolant in that side of the crank case? You could find someone nearby with penetrant solution to see if it is a crack? Idacatman would be the one to contact! Has it ever froze due to lack of antifreeze? Could be ground out and welded up?

Mike

S

shanderson62

Sep 12, 2009
bonney lake wa
thanks for the good tips, i took it to work and one of the welders determined it is not a crack just casting. My next problem is the counterweight on the mag side has been rubbing on the case. Can anyone tell me the specs for crankshaft end play? thanks again

Premium Features