• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with 02 MC

P
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, Wa
I just purchased a pair of 02 Mountain Cat 800 efi Le sleds from a guy on here. They only have 250 miles on them as their condition shows it. Obviosly been sitting alot. What should I look for. Fired them up, seem fine. Had to pull about 10 times to get them to going. Should injectors be checked or changed? Anything else I should look for other than the obvious? Can I run Redline oil in these sleds? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2009
one thing that i look for is the chaincase take a small long magnet and put it in the plug hole and make sure there arent any shavings, check the drivers for bent or missing teeth, and check the chassis real good for cracks

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
If they've been sitting for a long time, it'd be a good idea to drain the gas and put fresh. I'd also check the air intake for dust or anything else and make sure it's good and clean.

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
You could run some Seafoam through it the first tank of fuel to clean the injectors, its a cheap pre-cautionary measure if you feel they need cleaning.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
pull the top end off and check pistons/cylinders, put new rings on if everything looks good.

P
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, Wa
Thanks fellas. Plan on doing all the routine stuff. Will open the chaincase and check all that. Never thought about the rings and piston/cylinder. Probably a good idea huh? Whats this seafoam. Not familiar with this. Any thing else for these particular sleds?

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
Thanks fellas. Plan on doing all the routine stuff. Will open the chaincase and check all that. Never thought about the rings and piston/cylinder. Probably a good idea huh? Whats this seafoam. Not familiar with this. Any thing else for these particular sleds?

Link for Seafoam:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html

Also, if your checking the chaincase out, the bearing behind the gear on the jackshaft doesn't get much lubrication so I'd make sure that's good too.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
if your going that far you might as well replace it, better to be safe than sorry, id also replace the one on the PTO side of the driveshaft

Premium Features