• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pre season check list?

S
Dec 8, 2007
What do you guys recommend I do to the sled to get her ready for some deep snow action this year? The sled is an 03 1m 151".:beer;

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Check clutches for weight bushing wear, Replace both primary and secondary springs? If they haven't been replaced since new! Grease jackshaft bearings on both sides. Grease driveshaft bearing where speedo connects, Most wear with this bearing may need replacing if mileage is high? Adjust chain and replace lube which is another high wear item! Go thru front and rear suspension and grease all zerks. Check all thru bolts on rear suspension for tightness, If loose will oval holes on skid. Oil throttle, Brake, And Power valve cables. Adjust track tension and make sure it is running on ctr. New fuel, Drain old and run in lawnmower if not started over the spring/summer. Clean carbs if you feel like it, Other than that just go around and check things, Like hose clamps for tightness etc... Plugs, Retaining clips, Wires being pinched under oil bottle etc..That ought to give you something to do before winter sets in!

Mike

Last edited:
H

Hammertime

Nov 27, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
Slap on a new belt and put in a new set of spark plugs, check your pull rope if it's starting to fray replace asap. Those sleds are known for bad pull ropes!

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Check clutches for weight bushing wear, Replace both primary and secondary springs? If they haven't been replaced since new! Grease jackshaft bearings on both sides. Grease driveshaft bearing where speedo connects, Most wear with this bearing may need replacing if mileage is high? Adjust chain and replace lube which is another high wear item! Go thru front and rear suspension and grease all zerks. Check all thru bolts on rear suspension for tightness, If loose will oval holes on skid. Oil throttle, Brake, And Power valve cables. Adjust track tension and make sure it is running on ctr. New fuel, Drain old and run in lawnmower if not started over the spring/summer. Clean carbs if you feel like it, Other than that just go around and check things, Like hose clamps for tightness etc... Plugs, Retaining clips, Wires being pinched under oil bottle etc..That ought to give you something to do before winter sets in!

Mike
Slap on a new belt and put in a new set of spark plugs, check your pull rope if it's starting to fray replace asap. Those sleds are known for bad pull ropes!

about covers it all!
and check the cable at the oil pump had one go bad but got it with about one stand left.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Thanks, I knew there was a few others as well as the pull rope! I just replaced it this yr with a REI rope, 3100lb variety. I would do the same before it breaks then you are in a mess rewinding it! I will look at the Oil pump cables, Forgot about that all together.I knew I should have asked the experts with higher mileage for other suggestions!

Mike

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
For crying out loud........get rid of that recoil!!!!!!!!!

Don't keep breaking ropes. The new recoil pulls easier and therefor does not break ropes. It also allows for the use of high comp. heads. It was impossible for me to even pull over my 975 with the old recoil and high comp heads.

I usally do a track swap for my Extreme to my trimmed Attack 20 with studs in the fall. Twice I've found bearings going bad while doing this. Plull the chain and look at it closely for cracks. And yes what they said.

Owen

S
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
Are you talking about putting the recoil starter off a m8 or m1000. Idcatman1 makes a M to 900 adapter kit so that you can do that. I just bought one from him to put on my 1010 I hope it pulls easier.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
800 and 1000 recoils are the same.........

It's not hard to make your own plate and then put some washers and longer bolts behind the recoil cup. I'm sure buying one is well worth the money.

Owen

Premium Features