• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ring/clutch damper

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
My understnading is that its like a fly wheel on a 500cc two stroke bike. you dont have to have, but it sure smooths out the power delivery. Anyway, Iam running the rings on both of my 900s. I have never ran them without so i really cant tell you if it makes a difference.

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I put a new primary on last year and it doesn't come with the ring. You have to transfer your old one onto the new clutch. I was afraid to put it on without having the whole thing re-balanced so I just left it off. Anyone know if that is ok or not?

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
"back in the day", that was one of the hot mods to the M7. Lot's of guys did it, never heard of anyone regretting it...? Mine's still on. The other hot mod was to ADD the windage ring from the F7 secondary...?!

John

tjcatman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville Ca.
I lost my main clutch last year and got a new one from a guy out west. Sent it to Cuttlers to have it balanced and Dale who ownes Cuttlers called me and told me the clutch was true and didn't need balaning. He told me to leave the ring off that it served very little purpose. I also ended up purchasing some of his adjustable weights and it has been the best clutch set up I have ever run. Ran it all last year with no issues.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I would dump it! It is just extra mass on the weakest part of the power system the engine! 9 Lbs. of rotating mass is enough. Why do you think they dumped 4 lbs. of crank weight on the 10's? It spools up faster. Loosing a little weight @ 8.5" outward of the ctr. line of the crank is like loosing way more off the crank itself. Everyone wonders why a 03.5 is snappier than a '04, It is just not the timing advance alone!

Mike

Premium Features