• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fox float under a king cat?

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
looking to put a fox float under the o'l cat 162 anybody with input would love to hear it?
psi for the rear shock?
can i use the stock front shock for the rear skid with 09 rails?
it is a float conversion and i do plan to have the shock re valved by holtz
so any input is much appreciated.:beer;

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Hey FOMOCO,

I didn't realize they had a floats for the rear until you brought this up. I had to search for it. Found it under racing on the fox float page.
http://www.foxracingshox.com/snowmobile/race

I've got floats on the front of my KC, and it's a nice ride. Just picked up a zero pro for the rear. The stock shock is still collapsing when I work it.

Since they work so well on the front, I can't imagine it being anything less than a dream on the skid... Steep price though.

http://stores.ebay.com/Cat-Bargains
I haven't looked to see if they have floats, but they have good prices, and are good to work with

Mike

Last edited:

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Ok nobody's going to help me with this dinosaur so I have the float conversion in the shop and will give it a go myself.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
We've got 1Ms with M series suspensions under them with the float conversion.

It bolts right in, but the track clearance in the tunnel is a little tight if you don't have rear suspension brackets lower than stock. Here's some pictures, if you've got questions I'll try to pay attention this time :eek:

156_suspension.jpg

156_suspension2.jpg

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
I know you are asking about the floats for the rear suspension.....I don't have them but i do have them up front and noticed a big difference and have not bottomed out yet and I weigh 265lbs....

1MSnowEliminators006.jpg

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
Skid

76, did you just set the skid in there to try?
Just asking 'cause there's a lot of sag and the rails look like they aren't touching the ground in the front?
How does the TSL work in that skid?
It looks killer in there, hopefully it won't take a bunch of time to get it set up.:beer;

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
buy the float conversion for the 08 m or crossfire for about 400 in the swapp and buy 09 rails and use your front shock and rear lower sissier bracket. and for about 750 you can have one. or you can buy one whole for about 1k :eek:

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
buy the float conversion for the 08 m or crossfire for about 400 in the swapp and buy 09 rails and use your front shock and rear lower sissier bracket. and for about 750 you can have one. or you can buy one whole for about 1k :eek:

'07+ rails will work also, and even '05-'06 if you have a relocation bracket on the front arm.

(The '07 rails are lighter...)

not light enough to really matter, and they may be a slight bit weaker.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
As far as I know, the '07+ are all the same geometry, so theoretically you could mix and match if you had too. Wouldn't be pretty, but it would work in a pinch.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
As far as I know, the '07+ are all the same geometry, so theoretically you could mix and match if you had too. Wouldn't be pretty, but it would work in a pinch.

yes same geo but like you said not too pretty...

working past the mounting brackets on the float what a pain. any suggestions?
the drop brackets set the top of the rear skid too far back and cause the shock and the dog bone to bind on the lower part of the stroke.....looks like i need a football bat to make the proper mounting locations. I see you guys used a different drop bracket to clear the track in the tunnel and still meet the right geo on the rear skid. any help here?

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
We used a drop bracket from Mountain Magic, it attaches to the mount in the tunnel, and drops that down ~1½". It's actually not quite far enough for the 2.5" track, so we also went to smaller wheels on the rear arm.

We then made some of our own brackets for the second+ sleds that drop the mount a little further. (The one in the pic is the one we made.)

I can't find the Mountain Magic one on his website, but you might ask. I'm not sure who else makes brackets like that, I'm pretty sure a couple people do, I just don't remember who.

Premium Features