• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutching and gearing an 800

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Need more info,,, where do you ride most? Trails or mountains? Is it a 2" track or 1.5". If you plan to ride both trails and mountains you will have to sacrifice speed at least. What type of snow do you ride, fluffy powder or semi wet to wet? Knowing cat the f6 is probably geared a little high, throw in the longer track which will add more drag, put hyperfax on this will help the drag. Without knowing a relative top speed of your sled it's hard too say where the gearing should be. Some will say that all you need is clutching and or stiffer springs I disagree, especially with what was once a trail sled. Is this sled equipped with a chain case or gear drive? If it's a chain case try 19 43 gearing. If you can get a polaris hyvo gear and chain set this is tougher. If it's a gear drive, depending on what is stock try 57 63 or 55 64 s these seem to work in an 800 motor. I don't know it all but when it comes to performance through gearing most of the time lower is better. Does this answer your question???

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
What RPM does this engine work best at? If you gear down first, you can then see how the engine and clutches work. Sometimes, all that will need to be done from gearing down is mess with the helix angles. If it shifts out too quick,( loads the engine too much) go with a steeper angle. Definitely check to see what gears it has, I'm guessing 20-39 or so, if so gear down to 19-40. 2.26 gear ratio is a good place to start. Some think this is too low but if you plan to boondock a lot then this is a real good ratio for that. Should still carry a top speed of 70 or 80 if my memory serves me right.

Last edited:
Premium Features