• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Increasing a crossover Apex's deep snow ability

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I just stretched my Apex to a 144" and went with a 1.75" backcountry track. The sled also has a Boivin ZX-2 suspension. I ride roughly 50% trail here in Wisconsin, 40% in the U.P. off trail riding/trail riding and I also am taking my sled out to the Rockies this year for a few days. I dropped the top gear two teeth to a 22 top gear, I know this is not ideal for high elevation riding, but it should work well here in Wisconsin.

I am looking for some advice on what else I can do to make this sled run decent out west. Sled has 9500 miles, and I just put quite a bit of money into it replacing bearings/bushings etc. to make her go for another 10,000 miles with no problems. I spent a fair amount doing this, and am also a college student so I don't have money to spend on performance products. Is blocking off side panels with mesh or screens nessesary? I have run in deep snow before with this sled and had no problems with clutches slipping or the intake blocking up. Just don't want to hit 3 feet of pow for a day and have my sled run like crap because of the snow blocking things up.

Also is there any cheap clutching changes I can make to improve the deep snow/ moutain performance of my sled. Obviously I will change primary weights, but does changing the helix or secondary spring make a huge difference and is it worth me spending the money on secondary clutch changes for a 3 or 4 day trip.

I realize this sled is not ideal for mountain riding. I driven both Nytro MTX and M8's in the mountains and know it won't touch those. I am just bringing my sled out this time to save some dough.

Any opinions or recommendations or other thoughts I what I should or can do are much appreciated.

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I know nothing about that skid put it looks like its going to hold a TON of snow when in the powder. As for the sled, you should be able to change primary weights and run it. You might need to crank up the preload on the secondary spring but other then that it will work fine. Eric

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Id say gas and ride.Powderlites run this skid mabye not the 144 but dont worry about it youll be fine.

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Simons Gen II Ski's.

To bad you didn't go with a 2'' track. Bring a couple lighter secondary springs, and check to see if there is a helix with less dergree than what you're using. Better to have tuning parts with you than be stuck not getting the RPM's you need for Mtn riding. If you don't need them return them when you get back. Primary Weights...

You may not need any of these with the track you're running. Gen II are great for flowtation and with the short track you'll appreciate the help.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I did actually plan on using a 2" challenger. I ordered one from a guy off this site, after I put it on, I found it to be a 141" and not a 144". I PM'd him about this and he is not responding to me. Oh well. The plan was to use the 2" track early season then trim it down to deal with the trails here after we got back from out west. I decided to just go with the Backcountry for good compromise of trail durability and a decent track for off trail here in the midwest. Like I said earlier I know this sled will not compete with the modern mountain sleds out west. I am just looking to do whatever basic things I can to it to have the most amount of fun with it in the mountains. I am not picky, I don't really care if I get stuck the most or can't climb as high. I am just looking to have fun.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
I like your sled. It should be a good compromise for a guy who likes to ride off trail and can`t justify a full out mountain sled. I would look for a set of Yamaha mountain bottoms for your skis. I believe the mounts and handles are interchangable and you should be able to find a set cheap.

What do you think of the ZX2

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I love the ZX-2, living and riding in Wisconsin I can't comment how it does as a deep snow skid. But I bought it because it is one of the few aftermarket skids that is designed to handle the abuse of 1000's of trail miles with no maintenance. I have about 3000 miles on it so far and it is really durable. I ran it as a 121" last year and it definitely helped turn the Apex into a rough trail/ditchbanger. It transfers well and is hard to bottom out. The shocks got the high speed damping increased as well as a more progressive valve setup for this year, with the idea of being able to air out 650lb Apex with little to no bottoming.

Thanks for the ideas guys, don't know if I can swing paying 400$ for gen II skis right now. But with haydays right around the corner, who knows what I will find there.

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
I think colorado yamaha on this 4m has a high rise boss seat new never used.

I see a ton of shorter/flat lander sleds here in the mountains. Never heard one of them complain. Most times I think they are having more fun than I am.

Track speed would be the first issue to work. If you can get your sled to just bang the rev limiter on the trails at elevation, you should be pretty good for deep pow and some climbing.

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
I dont get a lot of deep snow action in my ZX2 the last two years but with my 1.25 6 pitch track it would point the skis straight up, on hardpack with the transfer on the same setting it would grab about 6" of ski lift. I got off trail in about 4-10' deep (in a drifted in ditch) and it floated really well I thought. Again I have no experience in the mountains or on a Mountain sled. I am thinking about heading west for the first time myself and I'll see how everything works, I know the snow is different then hear, much lighter so it may trench like a bastid.

I'm with you tkuss just want to try it, have fun, and I'm not worried about getting stuck.

Premium Features