• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

975 club members sign in.........

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I've triggered many engines over the years, but this one tickles my inerds.
Most 975, I suppose are on King Cats and I'm not sure they all run as well as mine.
If you have one , how's it working for you?

Mine is ported, case ported, mono head, Jaws D-pipes, advance timing and some other details. To get enough traction I've put on a Challenger Extreme 2.5'' and drop brackets.

I know the chassis is a bit dated, and I sometimes ride my '09 sled, but the huge off the line power of the 975 is quite a rush. More instant than a turbo and very dependable. Easier to start with the new style recoil, highly recomened.

A 975 is a conversion of a 900 Cat motor with the newer 1000 pistons. It revs 1000 rpms more and is quite capable of 200 hp. Because of a few compications I would not recomend it. unless you're going to keep your sled for a while. It's not cheap to do. Base shim, head remilling, pipes etc.

Owen

Last edited:

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
My dad and I are running three of these, plus a triple using the same cylinders.

They all have light port work, aftermarket heads and reeds. A couple have reed spacers (didn't seem to make much difference.)

Twins have Black Magic singles, triple has SLP's.

Twins have 153x2.25 Challenger, 156x2.5 Challenger Extreme and 162x2.5 Challenger Extreme. Triple also has a 162x2.5.

Twins run very well, reliable enough ride every day with the stock sleds and not worry. Triple is bar none the most fun sled I have ever ridden, also quite reliable (once we got the bugs out.)

All also have the new style recoil.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
running the speed werx 990 with turbotators porting jaws d's 48mm cpc with a a20 flipped had it running good with the stock 40's and went to the 48's and had some learning curve to the tune of 3 pistons but got it figured now (I hope)
the tps gave me a few fits in the timing department with a 2 deg key. the single biggest prob was not getting enough air, the stock air box has a hard time passing the volume needed for 8200.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
IDCATMAN, I wish we could have ridden together Jan

But because of avy danger I did not have the King. Do you have the foreward steering post? I don't yet.

76FOMOCO.....Sweet lookin' sled. How's the low end responce with those big carbs? I figure better , cleaner snap with small carbs, more HP with big. As for track. You need the Extreme 2.5. Better all round.

I won 1 st place in Sport Open at Duluth MN Spirit Mt Hill Drags with mine. That's doing pretty good against specialized drags sleds with a daily runner moutain sled.

I've got a reprogrammed CDI with 2 deg advance only at top end. This helps with the mid range hot spot.

Anyone check HP numbers? I think I'm in the 200 range.

Owen

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
here is an updated pic the one in my profile is way old
the big carbs are nice you can tune alot more from the bottom to the top over a stock. the forward mount post is a must and i think meatman has one for sale.2+ over stock from wildchild
0619091137.jpg

0619091151.jpg

P1010393-1.jpg

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
We don't have forward posts on ours. I've ridden another 975 that we helped build that did have one, and it made it feel more like the M-chassis. I liked it in certain situations, but couldn't get as used to it as the regular post (granted, I didn't give it very long, and would like to try it again for longer.)

I'm used to the way mine feels now, been riding this chassis since '98 (essentially, minor differences) and haven't changed much other than motors and taller bars as I got taller.

We wouldn't be able to put one on the triple unless we went to different carbs or did something custom. The third carb is right in the way of where the bend in the forward post is. I agree that the 2.5 is an awesome track, but I would also like to try the new Powerclaw on one of these.

We've also got M-series skids in all of ours. Float conversions in a couple of them.

I really need to get some better pics of just the sleds, can't even find a good one of the 162.

153:
mysled.jpg

162 (has the red windshield):
2008_03022-3-080218.jpg

2008_02200151.jpg

Triple:
IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

Left to right: Triple, 900 with a 144 (trail sled), 975 with 156x2.5 and 570 fan MC (wife's sled)
IMG_0812.jpg

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Yes , the 1000 pistons , but the 900 has a shorter stroke.

So it quite easy to spin it up to 8,200 RPMs with twin pipes.
What it takes is a shim to raise the cylinders to match the new pistons.
Send the pistons in with the cylinders to be bored a re-nicked. The tricky part is getting the heads right. Just enlarging them screws up the squish band. Also there's not much left of the exhaust valves after you grind them back to the new bore. I just deleted mine. For me it took 2 deg. advance timing and Jaws D-pipes to wake it up. With high compression heads and a bit of race fuel , it flies.

Owen , PS to pull it over you need the new recoil and big friends.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
We kept the exhaust valves on ours, and there is a noticeable difference when they open. It might be smaller running twins. One of the guys we helped build one had RKT cut his heads to the profile they use on the M1000, as it is now the same bore and it seems to work quite well.

We did have one without the larger recoil, and you could still pull it over, but there was quite a difference, you knew which sled you were on when you went to pull the rope :D

8hundo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2001
Sturgis, SD
Intrigued by this. Has anyone ever tried this on an EFI? Putting a 2.5" 16w on the King this year and am thinking a little more power may be called for. I would love to hear any input.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
The cylinder castings are different between the 8 and 9, but not so different that it won't work. The 800 exhaust port bridges get pretty thin when they are bored. I believe scoop's was done with 800 cylinders.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I Cant belive you guys spent all that time and money on your sleds and havent done the forward post. Its cheap easy and was by far the best mod i did to my 900. I handles some much better its not even the same sled. Is any one interesed in a vanaburg drop and roll tunnel for a 162, We have one thats never been installed, we were going to put it on my dads sled but he bought a new 1000. The Tunnel made a huge diff in both mine and my bro`s. Nice looking sleds.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
cylinder spacers

I can get you some in either .050" or .063" aluminum for about $20 each as of the last ones I had made. Depending on which base gaskets you use it will raise the cylinder the right amount. Some aftermarket gaskets I have used are thicker than the stock ones.

Premium Features