• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My 1m, work in progress, so far so good?

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I bought this back in april for $1,200. It didn't look good but ran great. 04 800 EFI 151"

cat2.jpg

The decals all were cracking from being in the sun, the headlight was flopping, the steering post tweaked, heat tape over the clutch access hole and the dropcase leaking. So i took the decals off, fixed the headlight and steering post and replaced the missing peices and ended up with this.

Oles forward mount and 3" riser too

kittycat001.jpg

kittycat002.jpg

Next up is track, two wheel kit and some powdercoat. Maybe some motor mods?

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
Mine is pretty much identically setup only it's green with a cobra chrome windshield and modified stock seat made into a highrise (which is a must, IMO). Great sled for the money.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
i got skid and track for ya make it a 162 :D:beer;

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Yes please do more. Go with a mesh hood or even the M-series retro hood for the MC chassis. Then rock it with some NOs

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
I did a lot of custom work last summer to my 1M and it turned out pretty well. This site is a great reference for getting good ideas and what ideas didnt work so well. You got a hell of a sled there for the price and so putting a little money and some time into her is only going to be return if you sell it. I have no clue what your budget is, but I'd say about a 1000-1500 into it would turn it into a nice sled.

Like SLEDIOT said, a mesh hood looks great. I built a hood last summer and this season I never saw my engine temps over 120, which was on a 50deg day in April. (most the time in the powder it ran at 90deg).

A lot of guys chop the tunnels down or make a new one (which I did) and they look great; however, if done improperly the tunnel could be weakened severly.

A pipe really wakes up the 800/900 big bores. I am running a Speedwex pipe and can, reeds, and some head mods the motor is really consistent and it pulls hard. The clutching and gearing setups in that chassis are super easy to change and play around with until you get the setup that fits your riding style.

The Boss seat is really nice for rider comfort.

As far as a track, I had a 156X2.5X15 Extreme on mine 2 seasons back on stock 151 rails. That track was killer, and then I hit a rock and tore the thing to pieces... and since I had to buy a new track I went with a 162X2.5X16 Extreme. There was a large difference between the two but for the money go with the 156 on your 151 rails (I have install pics to help with that) and you dont have to mod your tunnel. When/if you do swap up to a different track you will most likely have to change to 3.0 drivers.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Good luck with your summer project and let me know if you have any questions.

Boss

Here is a link to my build
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118169

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I did a lot of custom work last summer to my 1M and it turned out pretty well. This site is a great reference for getting good ideas and what ideas didnt work so well. You got a hell of a sled there for the price and so putting a little money and some time into her is only going to be return if you sell it. I have no clue what your budget is, but I'd say about a 1000-1500 into it would turn it into a nice sled.

Like SLEDIOT said, a mesh hood looks great. I built a hood last summer and this season I never saw my engine temps over 120, which was on a 50deg day in April. (most the time in the powder it ran at 90deg).

A lot of guys chop the tunnels down or make a new one (which I did) and they look great; however, if done improperly the tunnel could be weakened severly.

A pipe really wakes up the 800/900 big bores. I am running a Speedwex pipe and can, reeds, and some head mods the motor is really consistent and it pulls hard. The clutching and gearing setups in that chassis are super easy to change and play around with until you get the setup that fits your riding style.

The Boss seat is really nice for rider comfort.

As far as a track, I had a 156X2.5X15 Extreme on mine 2 seasons back on stock 151 rails. That track was killer, and then I hit a rock and tore the thing to pieces... and since I had to buy a new track I went with a 162X2.5X16 Extreme. There was a large difference between the two but for the money go with the 156 on your 151 rails (I have install pics to help with that) and you dont have to mod your tunnel. When/if you do swap up to a different track you will most likely have to change to 3.0 drivers.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Good luck with your summer project and let me know if you have any questions.

Boss

Here is a link to my build
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118169

Thank you.

I don't have much of a budget this summer. I can afford a track, bearings, bushings, some powdercoat and elbow grease. I've found a local shop with a take off 153" powerclaw and challenger, along with the 3.0 drivers, they are willing to make me a package deal, which track should I get of those two? I mainly boondock and climb.

I'd really like to mod the tunnel but I haven't welded aluminum before, but I do have a mig welder that can be set up for it. I already removed the stock rack and tail light.

I like the looks of boss seats but I just can't justify the price for how much I sit down. Honestly, I rode maybe 500 miles this year and spent atleast 490 of them standing. I race dirt bikes so sitting is not natural for me unless I'm dog tired.

I have a SLP can on it, and would like to add a pipe this fall or winter.

I was told that it has a aftermarket "$350 secondary" on it but it has no markings on it to identify it, I'm planning on having it gone through this fall because it feels light it should be weighted different.

I replied to you boss cat thread too.

:beer;

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Thank you.

I don't have much of a budget this summer. I can afford a track, bearings, bushings, some powdercoat and elbow grease. I've found a local shop with a take off 153" powerclaw and challenger, along with the 3.0 drivers, they are willing to make me a package deal, which track should I get of those two? I mainly boondock and climb.

I replied to you boss cat thread too.

:beer;

Thanks, :beer;

Of those 2 tracks the powerclaw is probably going to do better. There are a few guys on here that put those on their King Cat, it would be good to ask how they perform on these chassis.

Oh and if youre still throwing the idea around of modding the tunnel it would be alot easier to do the coolant system since your cooler and coolant lines are separate. So pulling the cooler off and copping that or getting a new M series flat cooler would be cake.

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho City, ID
Yes please do more. Go with a mesh hood or even the M-series retro hood for the MC chassis. Then rock it with some NOs

truthfully i think the zr3 chassis has the best looking hood out there including new sleds ESPECIALLY without a windshield! nice sled dude! just tinker around with the colors a it i used to have a black one with white vents i thought it looked pretty neato

Premium Features