• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should I worry or fix this?

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Making some track changes and installing a 2 wheel kit and found this. It's where the lower shock mounting bar attaches to the rails. Both holes are stretching, the right side is worst then the left. Could I move the mounting location somewhere else? Prehaps to the hole above where it is now, where the bogies used to be mounted to?

sled001.jpg

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Another option is drill a new hole in front of the existing and mount the shock in a more vertical fashion? Ace hardware has what you need 1/2" by 3/8 id bronze bushings like you described. Bolt must have been loose for quite a while!

Mike

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Someone used to make plates that bolted into some of the other stock holes and then would fix that problem. Can't remember who it is though.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Part #15 would work good for that.:beer;

MseriesRailassem.gif

This looks like a great idea. You could have someone TIG weld them up and redrill. I don't think you want to move the mount location at all. You will end with a bind or clearance issue somewhere.

Agian the bushings that ACMtnCat pionted out would be easy. Might have to be carefull to redrill the right size whole without the bit walking all over. An end mill might work good.

Thunder

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I remember someone who offered a fix for that, Hopefully they have something that works on the M rails, here is what I found in my search:

We offer the ORIGINAL slide rail repair option for the elongated, egg shaped, shock bracket mounting holes. Our kits are NOT a "band aid" repair - instead, they offer long lasting reinforced repair plates featuring built-in bushings, which will double the wear area around the damaged hole, while offering additional strength and durability to the rail.

The re-usable installation kit includes an aluminum drill jig, an arbored hole saw and nuts and bolts.

The repair kit comes with (2) aluminum plates, grade 5 bolts, a 3/8" o.d. stainless shaft and all hardware necessary to complete the repair.

We offer the following repair kits;
Upper Front Rail kits,
Lower Front Rail kits,
Upper Rear Swing Arm Limiter and
Lower Rear Swing Arm kits, for the ZR's, ZL's and FC's...

Note: Each Model requires it's own specific repair kit.

We are located in Central Wisconsin and offer same day shipping for any orders received by early afternoon. Quantity discounts available.

PERFORMANCE STAINLESS INC.
920-739-9899

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
This looks like a great idea. You could have someone TIG weld them up and redrill. I don't think you want to move the mount location at all. You will end with a bind or clearance issue somewhere.

Agian the bushings that ACMtnCat pionted out would be easy. Might have to be carefull to redrill the right size whole without the bit walking all over. An end mill might work good.

Thunder

Use a scrap piece of metal and drill the right sized hole in it then clamp it to the rail in line with the wobbled out hole using it as a guide for your new bigger hole in the rail. The metal bushing #15 will accept/fit the stock axle bolt. Problem fixed!:beer; Better then new!:D

Premium Features