• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Converting 04 King Kat to Power Claw Questions

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Is it necessary to convert the 04 King Kat drivers (non-extrovert) to the later 05 king Kat drivers which have extrovert drivers when converting to the power claw track.

I have heard that some of the king kat owners have converted to this track.
We need any information on the swap from king kat owners if possible. If you dont convert will the track ratchet. thanks for any help/info.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I did it, but, I already have avid extrovert drivers. You would not need to change drivers (If your sled is a king) as long as the sled has 3.0 drivers on it now. The only thing you will need to do is trim every other small rubber nub off of the powerclaw track. Let me see if I still have a pic of what I had to trim. The big advantage to extros is that you can run your track loose and take some of the pressure off the drive shaft and rear suspension. Plus I really think running looser helps performance.

This is the nubs I had to trim off to clear my drivers. I have had other people tell me they did not have to trim them off. i figure it is lots easier to do it with the track off the sled then to find out you need them off and trim them with the track on the sled.
pic058.jpg

Maybe I should clarify a little. I only trimmed the nubs that are in the middle of the windows. The one that I am pointing at, then every other one after that.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
The claw was the best mod I have ever made!!!! Now, you need to take into consideration that I live in Utah and ride deep, light fluffy powder 90% of the time. That being said, I have been riding some spring like conditions last week and it still hooks up very nicely!
If you need a second opinion, ask johnnyquestutah how he likes my claw against his 2.5 extreme!

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I put the powerclaw on my 04 king cat. No mods required to the drivers. And with the non extro drivers (stock on the 04 KK) you do not need to trim those little in between nubs, they clear the driver teeth just fine.

OK, now for the .02 on the performance of the track. Personally, I did not like the power claw. I felt that my old Challenger Extreme 162x2.25x15 out performed it (only compared in deep bottomless early season powder). By the way, this was not the challenger that came stock on the cats. It is the extreme.

I pulled the power claw and put on a Challenger Extreme 162 x 2.5 x 16. Rode the next day next to the same tracks all day that I put down with the PC. The CE outperformed it (deep pow). My opinion is defineatly in the minority though. Most on here say the PC is a better track. Just did not find that on my sled.

--Chris

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Thanks for the information, my son is going to change tracks, didnt want to get in the middle of the job and get a suprise. Thanks.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Change those bearings while you have it apart. Sucks to have them go out 100 miles after you had it torn apart.

Premium Features