• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 king cat-broken drive shaft....questions...

B
Jul 28, 2008
So, snapped the driveshaft today on the King Cat after tons of trouble free miles.

How difficult is it to swap these out? How long does it take? Do I need to replace the bearings on it too? Where can I pick one up for a good price? Do they make an aftermarket one that isn't so prone to break?

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
look for a used one, most places don't make aftermarket anymore:( check the bearing and if they look a little worn then change them or if they have high miles then kick them out. you have to pull the chain case outer cover and remove the chain and gears the big deal is on the bearing lock collers undo the allen and turn the coller (clock or counter can't remember).

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
It only takes about an hour and I would just put everything in new. The bearings are about shot by now and do you really want to get 10 miles off the trail and break another "used" one? Actually it's a good time to take the skid out and rebuild the shocks and grease the wheel bearings too.

C

cobbycat

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 15, 2008
salmon arm, b.c.
I think I may have one, I'll have to go dig in the parts pile. I will let you know.
it isn't a hard job but it does take a bit of time.
you should replace the berrings often as it is a bit of a weak point.

B
Jul 28, 2008
Would one one of you guys with a new shaft also have the bearings too? I'd like to buy both from the same person/shop ASAP. If so, how much more? Gotta get this thing fixed right away! :D

Thanks so much for the help, stoked to know it's only like an hour long job.....will I need any special tools or just standard ones?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Does the shaft come with the drivers? If not that could put a kink in your plans on getting it done in an hour.

D
Nov 29, 2007
MN
After my PTO bearing went and destroyed my drivers on my 05 EB I decided to upgrade to the exvolute drivers which were stock on the late builds. I got a good deal on them but at the same time it also cost 125 to press them on at the shop (including removing all the old ones). Track down a complete driven shaft if possible.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
After my PTO bearing went and destroyed my drivers on my 05 EB I decided to upgrade to the exvolute drivers which were stock on the late builds. I got a good deal on them but at the same time it also cost 125 to press them on at the shop (including removing all the old ones). Track down a complete driven shaft if possible.

125 to press the drivers on! Did you get a kiss when they were done?

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
i got a driveshaft with 3.0p drivers on it ill sell ya for 125 shipped PM me if interested

D
Nov 29, 2007
MN
Trust me I was pretty hot at the price too. When I took it in they said no more than 2 hours @ the $60 shop rate. Talked with the guy who did it and he spent over 3 on it - rans into all kinds of problems.

Needed it done though, just wish I would have gotten that dinner!

B
Jul 28, 2008
Shaft comes with the PTO side bearing, chaincase bearing is another 25.00

Know what is really annoying?

When I send you the money for both the shaft and the bearing almost a week ago, and I don't hear back from you.

I sent you a PM which I know you've read asking for a tracking number. I've heard nothing and no response.

I'll be calling your shop soon if I don't hear from you here.

You may or may not have sent the parts out already, but that's not the point. You need to communicate with your customers.

H
Mar 25, 2003
Thief River Falls, MN
Settle down.

You sent the payment Thursday April 16th in the afternoon, it was shipped the following day April 17th (Friday). Today is the 22nd (Wed.) You are in Colorado, we are in Minnesota. It takes a few days to get there. We are a fully staffed Arctic Cat/Honda dealer, and I don't have time to sit and surf snowest. Just thought I was helping out a fellow snowester.

Here is your tracking #, it is out for delivery.

1Z 557 536 03 4809 344 4

B
Jul 28, 2008
Settle down.

You sent the payment Thursday April 16th in the afternoon, it was shipped the following day April 17th (Friday). Today is the 22nd (Wed.) You are in Colorado, we are in Minnesota. It takes a few days to get there. We are a fully staffed Arctic Cat/Honda dealer, and I don't have time to sit and surf snowest. Just thought I was helping out a fellow snowester.

Here is your tracking #, it is out for delivery.

1Z 557 536 03 4809 344 4

Thanks a lot....how hard would it be to respond to my PM with this info?

I'm sure you wouldn't like it either......helping someone out doesn't entail ZERO lack of communication. Tough to understand I know. :face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features