• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

[B]King Cat Rear Shock[/B]

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
King Cat Rear Shock

2006 King Cat with ACT (Arctic Cat Technology) gas, non adjustable, non reservoir rear/rear shock.

Shock seems to come and go. sometimes it will work just great, and then It dies. but it doesn't just die, it seems to have a negative pressure because it sucks my tunnel to the bottom of the travel.

I can ride it for a few minutes, and it comes back just like nothing ever happened.

I have had it recharged with oil change twice, but the SM of local dealer said it didn't need parts. It looked fine. Well it happened again.

Anobody able to shed some light on the subject?

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Could be air in oil side of the shock.

Dealer may not have bled it properly when the new oil was done.

That could be the case. I know that he was real anal about it this last time that he re-charged it, and changed the oil.

Went riding today, and it worked great, except for a couple of minutes when I was working it real hard on a buuummmmpy trail. It started to colapse. Got to the end of the trail, climbed the hill, and abrakadabra alakazam, it worked fine the rest of the day.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
A good share of the dealers are not good at rebuilding shocks. They have the equipment, but lack the knowledge to do it correctly and don't understand the whole valving concept. I would guess by your discription of what happened, is that the dealer charged and did not put the $6.00 worth of new seals in it. He also should heat the shock, standing straight up, with a propane torch after charging it.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
My guess it that you are correct...

I'm sure that he didn't put new seals in it, and he was telling me that he would have to send it to Idaho for revalving.

I forgot who he was talking about that supposedly does a great job on revalving shocks in Idaho.

One thing is for sure though, These shocks not working correctly, and cracking my rails is Bull Sh*t. I gotta find someone who knows the fine art of rebuilding shocks.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
My guess it that you are correct...

I'm sure that he didn't put new seals in it, and he was telling me that he would have to send it to Idaho for revalving.

I forgot who he was talking about that supposedly does a great job on revalving shocks in Idaho.

One thing is for sure though, These shocks not working correctly, and cracking my rails is Bull Sh*t. I gotta find someone who knows the fine art of rebuilding shocks.
try cutlers in orem utah.
http://www.cpcracing.com/

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
picture.php
Thanks FOMOCO. I'll check them out.

mytimbits

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
my cat does that when i park on snow thats not flat ie. a mogul this is the nature of the beast

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
my cat does that when i park on snow thats not flat ie. a mogul this is the nature of the beast

No, it's not natural. this shock has been actually sucking my suspension to the bottom.

If I take the shock off, the springs will rebound it just fine, so it has something to do with the shock. I had to replace both rails last year d/t bottoming out and they cracked...

an update however, is that I bought a fox zero-pro, haven't put it on yet, but I am suspissious that I will be in a better situation this year.

finger_crossed_icon_tshirt-p2351004966333891922t0nv_75.jpg

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
You will be much better off with the Zero Pro. I ran one for a year before I switched to a coil over and it was a significantly better shock.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
You will be much better off with the Zero Pro. I ran one for a year before I switched to a coil over and it was a significantly better shock.

I saw where some people were switching to coil-over.

So I guess by doing that, you eliminate the springs on the side of your tunnel which extend down to the rails?

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I saw where some people were switching to coil-over.

So I guess by doing that, you eliminate the springs on the side of your tunnel which extend down to the rails?

Usually the coil overs come as a kit with shocks and new arms that do eliminate the torsion springs you mention. They are a much better performing suspension.

Premium Features