• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 King Cat Shock

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
I just bought a 05 King Cat EFI 900 163 with 350 miles on it. After 2 days of riding it seems like the left front shock is weak. It wants to dip hard onto the left side while riding all the time.(under hard aceleration from a stand still it lean to the L side and lifts the R ski all the up off the ground) It sit levels and feel like it moves the same as the right side when pushing down on the sled. It doesnt seem as though its blown. I jumped a few small hills and it never bottomed out. I adjusted the spring to tighter and it seemed like it didnt really help. Any ideas? Has this happened to any else?? Thanks, Wes

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
If its not sagging any I would start looking at your rear suspension. Maybe a broken or missing bolt on the skid. Seams like if its going left under acceleration (when the skis really arnt on the ground) that is not your front shocks.

Also check your limiter straps. Maybe one is out and one is tight? I dont know just throwing ideas out there.

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
It has got to be a broken or loose limiter strap, Or week left side rear spring? If it is limiter straps I have a new set for cheep.

Mike

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
I will be sure and check the straps. It could be the spring but there pretty much new and there the titanium ones. Could the shocks need to be recharged? with nirtogen or are they oil filled ones? Also I was thinking of switching that shock over to the other side and see what happens. What do you guys think? Thank you guys for your ideas so far.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Go ahead and switch the shock to otherside. I just installed a set of used titanium springs, One had a slight bow on the long leg, Straightened it at work so both were the same. Mine has always torqued to the left when the skiis are in the air. Check rear adjuster blocks to see if they are at the same setting. If you need front shocks PM me. You could jack up ea. ski one at a time to load the one ski down and take a measurement between upper a-arm and chassis to see if one compresses further. Measure the side that is still on the ground, I would do this before swapping shocks.

Mike

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Another note, I just remembered something, Do you have a can on this? The engine is mounted more to the left and with the clutches on the left will be out of balance. I think the stock cans were made heavy to counterbalance the extra weight on the left side? I am sure thats why the brake rotor and chaincase are on the right side. In the air the clutches could have a gyroscopic effect and pull you to the left. The aftermarket can will be about 10 lbs. lighter on the right and may make matters worse? Are the front shocks adjustable, You might want to stiffen the left up a bit if everything checks out, Or the left adjuster block on the scissor.

Mike

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
I will try lifting it up and measure each shock travel. I also have a stock can it. all my shocks can be adjusted via the nut that moves the spring up and down. I did try tighting up the left side a couple turns it seemed a little better. in plain terms it just seems very tippie on the left side more then right side while riding. Also I saw a triangle shape block that connects to the springs on the rear track that can be adjusted to what appear to be three different levels how much will that stiffen the suspension up. I'm about 210lbs. what is the left side adjuster block on the scissor? where is it? I'm new to snowmobiling sorry for the dumb questions. Thank you 1Mike900 for your help so far

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
That is the triangle block that I was referring to on the rear scissor assy. You could go just one level higher and try it, If no change then put back the same. Both limiter straps look OK on the front torque arm of the rear suspension? Yeah the front shocks are a little soft, Just tighten them up a few more clicks. I could only assume that the sled has sat on the suspension for the last 4 yrs. or so. It is a good idea to have it raised up off the suspension over the summer when not in use, To prevent spring sacking. Hope some of this helps?

Mike

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Mike,

I checked my limiter straps and they look good also the triangle block are both on the same setting. I tighted my Left side shock up like 4 more turns then the right side and with it flat on the ground and I pulled hard on the machine it feels equal both ways. Do you think maybe the shock needs rebuilts or the spring could be bad. Do have to stiffen one side up more then the other? Any one else have any ideas?

Wes

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
If it does it when you are hard on the gas I would say you are looking at the wrong end of the sled. Cant see how a weak front shock would affect that. I am betting it is something in the rear suspension.
Its only 4 bolts tear it off the sled and get a good look at everything!

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
So I went riding yesterday and here is what i came up the rear suspension seems fine.I think it was just the torque of the motor doing that, I ended up tighting the front left shock up about four more turns then the right side. It feels normal now but i know something must be wrong because i should not have to tighten one side up more then the other. It felt almost prefect like that though. But it ran great other wise :) should i send it in to get rebuilt???

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
welcome to the torque of the 900 on a normal run the right ski should be about 4+" higher off the ground then the left. just get use to it.:beer;:D

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
So I went riding yesterday and here is what i came up the rear suspension seems fine.I think it was just the torque of the motor doing that, I ended up tighting the front left shock up about four more turns then the right side. It feels normal now but i know something must be wrong because i should not have to tighten one side up more then the other. It felt almost prefect like that though. But it ran great other wise :) should i send it in to get rebuilt???

You're right, you shouldn't tighten one side more than the other. An equal setting would be prefered. I think you are just feeling the torque of the motor. This is only happening when you peg it from a dead stop right (drag racing)? You just need to set it up so everything is equal, and ride it.

Rixter is right. When you are pegged, your ski's should be off the ground, thus factoring out the front suspension.

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
It does do it when i'm drag racing i understand that. But with normal riding with both shocks equal is its softer on that side when hitting bumps or on flat ground when i push on the handle bars to one side. It doesnt bottom out by any means it just softer. I'm just not sure what to do it.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
i would take them to a fox shop the ACT is a direct fox rip off and uses fox parts. it's not as simple as just changing the oil but you could give it a try:eek:

Premium Features