• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do you get nto snowcross?

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Just come on a new sled that meets tech inspection and ride? I am planning on buying the 2010 polaris racer and getting into snowcross this year. Any advice?

W
Nov 26, 2007
safety gear is worth every penny and remember your just starting so ride to your own ability and eventually you will get there, chances are none of us will be a hibbert. I learned alot from guys that i raced against they helped answer questions and even helped me set up my sled. I just started racing two years ago and it is a blast

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I have all the safety gear i need.

I guess what i am getting at is who all races in Montana? I would prefer to start out small. I have been on professional race courses like the one in west but never in a competition.

P
Jan 9, 2008
things needed for raceing MONEY, good saftey gear,more MONEY, agood tow vehicle, a couple sponsors, a good sled, some MONEY,a lot of replacement parts.
A good place to get started with sponsors are your local dealer where you buy the sled, another good sponsor is the local bulk fuel guy. Though tempers can flare at times most of the people in the pits are a lot of fun to be around and I'm sure you'll have a blast Good Luck

A
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
things needed for raceing MONEY, good saftey gear,more MONEY, agood tow vehicle, a couple sponsors, a good sled, some MONEY,a lot of replacement parts.
A good place to get started with sponsors are your local dealer where you buy the sled, another good sponsor is the local bulk fuel guy. Though tempers can flare at times most of the people in the pits are a lot of fun to be around and I'm sure you'll have a blast Good Luck

Did he mention money$$$$$? ;) Head on down to one and watch you'll get a pretty good idea of what you need and what goes on. MOST people will give you a lot of help and afterwards most of the officials will answer just about anything. Otherwise get a helmet (with orange on it) tek-vest, shin-guards,goggles, a coat with orange on the back, tape some numbers on and I think you just about got it.

S
Jul 14, 2008
Out west atleast in the MT arwea there isnt very many circuits besides the Mountain West as stated above and there is a small one in Co that runs up in WY a little to. Make sure if you want to get the 2010 polaris you apply for one I'd also apply to the other 2 also just to have a back up. You can find the appications on thier wab under racing they uaually are out around april and due back like 3 weeeks later but it wil say the due date on their web. I agree with everyone that money is a major factor make sure you save as much as you can during the summer cause parts add up quick. I tried it this year with no luck but try find someone you can ride or give rides to the races to split your travel that seems to be the biggest expense in racing out here cause most races are 5+ hours away luckily this year fuel is cheap cause 9 mpg to and from the races adds up quick. If you make it to West for the races in Mar email me before hand get a pit pass and I'd be more than willing to give you or anyone that would like a behind the scenes view of snocross.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I will be there drag racing my 800 IQR. You absolutely can not miss me lol.

I would love to get in there and watch you guys race from the pits. You should let me ride your sled for a junior event

I have read through all the polaris racing books, the rule books and mountain west.

All i need is a sled, number, and helmet with orange.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Also when you get ready to start sign up for every contingency program you can.

A couple that I was under were.

Powermadd
C&A
Arctiva
Woody's

Most of the aftermarket companies that make racing parts or gear have some sort of a program where if you win with their products and Decals on the sled they either give you more discount or $$. Most sanctioning bodies also have a contingency program with the 4 factories for varying amounts of $$ depending on your class.

S
Jul 14, 2008
I will be there drag racing my 800 IQR. You absolutely can not miss me lol.

I would love to get in there and watch you guys race from the pits. You should let me ride your sled for a junior event

I have read through all the polaris racing books, the rule books and mountain west.

All i need is a sled, number, and helmet with orange.

Not to sure about the whole race thing but you can deff hang out in the pits. I was planning on buying a practice sled this year and renting it for people to try racing but it just didnt seem like there was alot of interest in it. I'd prob let you take it for a spin in that big field out there to get a feel of it. If your willing to try a cat out haha.

For helmets if people have a helmet they can get some fine line tape and orange vynal at sign shop. Then just mask a design out with your tape cover in orange then use your tape inside edge as a cut line. It works on solid or helmets with existing graphics and if you do a good job it doesnt look half bad for the $5 or $10 you put into it. Its alot better than the orange duct tape look.

Premium Features