• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do I prime the fuel pump?

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
03 Mountain Cat EFI.

All the fuel hoses in the tank had to be replaced, so I'm figuring I need to prime the pump since all the fuel drained out, and the pump isn't feeding fuel.

Any ideas?

900kingkitty

Nov 27, 2007
terrace b.c, canada
you should have to prime the pump, it is self priming . a couple pulls on the rope and voltage is sent to the pump and she starts pumping .i had mine out in my 900 and 3 pulls and away she went.

E
Nov 26, 2007
oregon
Thanks all.

I tried a 12 volt dewalt battery for a split second. As I heard no pump noise I stopped instantly. Since the pump is also IN THE TANK on that model, it certainly gives one pause to consider a short due to overvoltage......

I have pulled, and can pull no more tonight. I also shot starter fluid into the airbox in the hopes that this would prime the pump. Didn't work.

I will spend more time yanking the cord tomorrow......

A
Dec 20, 2008
North Dakota
If you dont hear you fuel pump after putting 12v's on it you either have a bad pump, bad wiring or maybe one of the wires came off inside the tank when installing the pump and new hoses. For priming the system you'll need to take the fuel line off that goes to the fuel rail on throttle bodies. then hook up battery, pump just enough to get the pump to labor a little. There is air in the lines and this will prime the system. Put the fuel line and pump connector back on and you will be good to go. This is what I do every year to get my A/C 500 running after summer storage. I usually let it run out of gas when I store it.

Last edited:
Premium Features