• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

does anyone miss the I 500?

K
Jan 6, 2009
Ya First post, I read here a lot and decided to register. The reason I am asking this is because my son is 10 and into atv ing and sleds. always wanting to race something. I really miss the I-5 from thunder bay to white bear lake. I used to be a little involved in it years ago until it busted but always wondered if there was anyone else that wished for it again. Just curious.

K

Dec 30, 2007
Crescent, Iowa
It would be fun to see it come back. Alot of people that have gotten in to sledding with in the last 10 years probably don't know what your talking about. But it was one of the first races that manufacturers built special race sled for. Like the xc 440, zr 440, mxzx440. The reason I don't think it will be back is that it is tough to watch, that is why you see snocrosses. This race was a 500 mile race of pure hell. I remember seeing sleds with tunnels that looked like accordinan, no seats on them since they were knocked off, skis missing, etc. :D:D:D

X
Jan 14, 2006
?????????i am lost
It would be fun to see it come back. Alot of people that have gotten in to sledding with in the last 10 years probably don't know what your talking about. But it was one of the first races that manufacturers built special race sled for. Like the xc 440, zr 440, mxzx440. The reason I don't think it will be back is that it is tough to watch, that is why you see snocrosses. This race was a 500 mile race of pure hell. I remember seeing sleds with tunnels that looked like accordinan, no seats on them since they were knocked off, skis missing, etc. :D:D:D

ah the good ole days:p

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
every year we looked forward to one hour-ish film about the I 500 that we would pay to see... the wrecks were pretty cool but what I remember are the iron men airing out their sleds as they ran along the highway and when they would come to a driveway.. no lift and big air. Now a lot of people out there are saying, "so, what was the big deal about that" and you have to remember this big air was being done with two inches of suspension and leaf springs... thus they were "iron men" (and it seems there was one woman that ran that was pretty tough too)

MTNRCR

Lifetime Membership
The one's that say it's no big deal should try it!! In 1997 the snow was so deep that at every road crossing the banks were pushed up 15 to 20 feet. I remember crossing them at 90 mph!! Sled would fly from fence line on one side of road and land beyond fence line on other side of road. Cars would be sitting on road to watch us fly over. We were at least 20' off ground as we went over the roads. Wish I was still young enought to still do it!!

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Yup! have always considered it the Daytona of snomobiling.

I thought this was like the Daytona 500 of snowmobiling I-500.com and
The Cross country version I-500 was like the Baja 500 of snowmobile racing. I also remember it as the Winnepeg to St. Paul I-500 but that is showing my age I suppose.

J
Dec 15, 2007
The best snowmobile race period!!! Winnipeg to St. Paul or Thunder Bay to Duluth whatever it was the best race. Don't kid yourself the current 500 is still a hardcore 500 miles. The times in todays 500 are mind boggling, technology has shortened the 500 so to speak. The old 500 was cool because it was point to point without previously run terrain and very different terrain from day to day. With insurance costs and land use restrictions the days of the old race are history. Struthers was the man in my books but Hibbert, Pake, Wolfe, Davidson and a ton of other guys were the real deal, what about Herb Howe, Eastman, Karpik etc, etc. Dyrdahl is untouchable today and would have been right in the hunt with those guys from the past. Lot's of those guys were winding down their careers in 2000 when Bryan won his first 500.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
10 year anniversary of this thread, from somebody that ran it in 93 and 94 thought I would bring it up and see if anyone is still alive that remembers it LOL can't find any history other than 1st place winners. Was covered by Snow Week (newspaper) in the day. Have a full tupperware tote under house of snow week may have to dig out for some nostalgia.

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
wow, being from Thunder Bay, I haven't really heard about the I-500 running from here, guess I was just too young when it was running.
Would be pretty cool to try on the modern sleds I think.

Premium Features