• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New track of choice for 05 King Cat?

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I tore a few lugs out of my attack 20 track yesterday, and think it may be time to replace it... what is the best replacement track? I hear a lot about the maverik's, and the powder claw (is that what it's called?)... Suggestions?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I absolutely LOVE my Challenger Extreme 162x16x2.5. 1 1/2 seasons and not a torn lug, frayed strand, or fold over. And I do ride my sled hard.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Getting a Power Claw to fit..

I have read in some previous posts that there is a bunch of cutting and modifying to make a power claw fit on my king cat. It sounds like you have to change your drivers... would I have to do this on an 05, or is it just the earlier 1m's? I am not into a bunch of modifying... if it will fit with little or no extra work, I will go with the track... otherwise I will go with the next best thing that will fit.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I have 2 cat 900's I put new tracks on both of them before the season started both are 162. I put a 16 wide maverick on one sled and a power claw on the other. I am a little disappointed in the maverick, It definitely makes the sled harder to side hill or turn on an edge. Also the paddles are really folding over bad. After about 130 miles they are folded over a ton! The first ride of the year was about 6 miles of HARD packed road from the truck to the good snow on top of the mountain. I am not sure if that had anything to do with the paddles folding so quickly or not. I am VERY impressed with the power claw!! Also where I ride is 99% DEEP powder, off trail ! so I really don't care how it preforms on the trails. I am temped to take the maverick and sell it and buy another power claw!!
I have a buddy with a 04 900 EFI and he has the 162 powder extreme 2.5 It is a great all around track. It is also starting to fold over a bit. It does trench a little bit in soft powder!! It you ride more than 50% off trail in soft powder, get the power claw!!

Last edited:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I have read in some previous posts that there is a bunch of cutting and modifying to make a power claw fit on my king cat. It sounds like you have to change your drivers... would I have to do this on an 05, or is it just the earlier 1m's? I am not into a bunch of modifying... if it will fit with little or no extra work, I will go with the track... otherwise I will go with the next best thing that will fit.

I have avid extrovert drivers, I had to trim some of the little drive nubs off the track. It took me about 10 minutes at the most. I have talked to a guy with stock king cat extros and he said that the track clears just fine on those drivers. Here is a pick of the nubs i had to remove. Only every other one, the ones that lines up in the middle of the window!

pic058.jpg

P
Dec 1, 2007
utah
i installed the power claw(162x15x2.25) on my 04 mcat and have 4 rides on it, don't have any regrets about going with this track. i think it is alot better than the challenger that my sled came with.

i was also concerned about trimming the track so i bought the 05 kk stock extros, which i had to change drivers anyway since my stock ones were 2.52, and they clear just fine. so if your 05 kk came with the extros which i think the 05's did, but i could be wrong, then you should be good to go.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
I had a 162x15x2.25 attack20 in the hillclimb position that had straightened paddles on my 03, and on my 05 king I have a 162x16x2.5 challenger extreme and it's a world of difference, I'm sure the sleds have a bit to do with it as well but I would say go with the 16 wide challenger extreme, you'll be happy.
Just my opinion, hope it helps.
Trent

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
I think I have a Maverick

I think the track that is on my sled now is a Maverick, it kinda looks like a big finger track. Where does it rank in the long list of tracks? I don't know what to think because its the only track i've had on it so far. It looks like I could find an attack 20 for dirt cheap. Power claws look very expensive... Are the attack 20's any good?

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
The A-20 was probably the best deep powder track put out. The unfortunate trade-off is that it is flat out dangerous on hardpack. Unless you run in nothing but deep pow, you'll learn to hate it quick. Some guys mod them and claim that they work well in most conditions. The main thing posted on the Maverick seems to be the durability. IMO, you can't beat the Camo.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
fit?

Will a 162x16x2.5 track such as a challenger or a power claw work on my 05 king cat without changing drivers? I would like to keep the costs down the best I can...

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Yes, both will work. Both tracks are 3" pitch. The powerclaw will require you to cut the rail centering nubs that are centered on each window though. Camo is a drop in and go.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
a 16 wide wont just drop in and go. You will have to change your upper idler wheels to 8 inch wheels so the rack clears the drop brackets. Or get sled junkies drop brackets which i believe are just that, JUNK!

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
162x15x2.5

Ok, I was under the assumption that the oem track was 16'' wide. I am guessing that the 15'' wide is actually factory. Will a 2.5'' track clear without any mods, or should I go with a 2.25?

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Rixter is right, you can't just drop the camo in if you don't have SJ brackets. I forgot about the upper idler wheels. They are easy to replace, only takes about 15 minutes because the skid is already out for the track swap. I used a set of 7.25" diameter skidoo wheels. Got them from Spankys for about $30. Let me know if you need the part number.

W
Nov 27, 2007
drivers

I would also like to change tracks. leaning towards the 16 wide for more floatation. I'm starting with a 04 900 159, i know i will have to change the drivers. Can i run a 2.5 lug with out going to a smaller driver or will the 05 stock kk drivers work? Thanks.

Premium Features