• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'05 Arctic Cat King Cat horrible sounding track rubbing up front

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Yesterday I took my king cat out and rode about 65 miles in the mountains, and it was -31 in the parking lot when we took off. About half way through my ride I started hearing this terrible rubbing sound. It sounds like the paddles and hitting something in the front end. I tipped it on it's side and broke some ice out from under it, and it halfway subsided for a few minutes, but I notice this horrible noise when I go slow, or go down hill... any ideas?

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
How are your slides? On the 1M chassis when the slides get down to about 1/2 the knobs on the under side of the track start rubbing on a cross shaft. I have seen happen on a couple different sleds.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Look at the slides and see if they are worn down. If I remember right it is the shaft that one of the shocks is on. Look at the shaft and there is usually black rub marks on them. You have to tip the sled on the side to see the bottom of the shafts where the track would be rubbing.

F
Oct 4, 2008
Same thing happened to me on my 04 KK, and it was the driveshaft bearing on the left hand side. Wore out so bad that the drivers were hitting the end of the rail, sounded terrible. Better get it fixed before it takes out the driveshaft, or chaincase. Good luck.

C
I had this same problem on my 05 King cat. If its a late model they have drivers and on slide rail end caps, it takes a different kind of end caps that are tapered. If they are not tapered they hit the drivers.I just ordered the right ones and the problem was fixed.

I had this same problem on my 05 King cat. If its a late model they have drivers and on slide rail end caps, it takes a different kind of end caps that are tapered. If they are not tapered they hit the drivers.I just ordered the right ones and the problem was fixed.

I had the same problem but I just pulled the plastic caps off and cut about 1/2" off the end of my rails, then notched the plastic caps to fit over the runners. Problem solved. But I would check the bearing out too. not something you want to have go out on the trail. Mine was an 05 KK too.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Diagnosed!

I looked and looked, and noticed 3 or 4 consecutive lugs torn out of my track, and gave up. I brought the sled to my cat dealer, and the mechanic looked at it for a minute, felt underneath it, and said the driveshaft bearing is toast. He said the bearing hole got reamed out from riding it, so it will be interesting to see how much sheet I actually wrecked by riding it like that all day. He said the tell tail sign is when the speedo quits (which mine did on the way in...) 65 miles of climbing later it was back on the trailer. He said the torn lugs were unrelated... my track is the original... time for a new one maybe...

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
If I knew the speedo quit I would also have said drive bearings! Depending on the damage you did... the track may have to wait until a later date!

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
damage

I agree! The mechanic said that it is a good thing that I didn't snap the chain. Hopefully I didn't trash the shaft, I would imagine that they get expensive. He said that if the shaft is ok, it will probably only be a couple hundred bucks to fix, and will have it by the weekend.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Did this on my ol'e 650 wildcat, Must have rode it for a couple hundred miles like this! There was no bearing left just a reamed out outer cage and the shaft was ground down 1/8" deep. They had a used perfect shaft and drivers for like 75.00 and new bearings and I was back in business! They felt sorry for me and didn't take me to the cleaners. I thought it accelerate much better, But went the same! Good luck, Hopefully the shaft is A-OK?

Mike

F
Oct 4, 2008
When mine went it wore out the end of the shaft and the new bearing would not fit snug and would wobble on the shaft. Dealer had no shafts in stock and I wanted to ride so we welded the end of the shaft and had a machine shop turn it down in the lathe. Probably cost me too much but what ya gonna do when there is new snow and sunshine.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Fixed!

Just got a call from the cat shop. He said he had to replace the bearings, a couple bushings, a peice for the speedo, and the plates that the bearings sit in. He also replaced the hifax while he had the skid out... $240 bucks. I thought the price sounded pretty good to me... what do ya think?

Premium Features