• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat Bogging: Airbox Questions

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
I have an 05 king cat efi, and just got back from a trip out west and I had alot of problems with my sled bogging. When we found a nice hill to play on, it would run great 3 or so times and then once or twice it would only go to 6000rpm, and when that happend my egt's would be anywhere from 250-450* or so off between each cylinder, it seemed like it was running on one cylinder. But when it didn't bog, both cylinders would be about 1050*. Could this be getting snow in the air box? I did have some snow on the bottom ducting that goes to the footwells, I did not have any foam to keep most of it out which I know I should have, my last sled had it. What is everyone doing with their stock boxes? Anyone with filter pods like kick azz?? I have a gutted box with an SLP lid and a prefilter riveted on the opening. Or could I have other problems?? Running my speedwerx with the ethanol wire unplugged and my boondocker box off, plugs are a nice brown cardboard like color.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Trent

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
You have another opening on the backside of the clutches and muffler side. Block those off with tape as you don't want brake dust and the exhaust sucking in on the muffler side. Just make sure the exhaust outlet in the bellypan is sealed up with silicone. Other than SLP covers on the outside vents you should be all set. Should be the snow causing this, Or if the sled is on the rich side it will bog on the righthand turns in the powder.

Mike

Last edited:
N
Jan 22, 2008
the "limp home" mode strikes again

It seems like there is a rash of KK sleds that have the same sort of problem. Something is happening to the sled to cause the ECU to go into "limp" mode. It sounds likie it is being caused by a multitude of problems but the end result is the same. The sled runs to about 5500 rpms and then quits and we limp back to the trailer. Mine has been found to be a bad air temp sensor in teh air box...Does your sled have any blinking heat sensor lights when the sled is not running hot? That is what happened to me and the flashing lights have proven to be a code from the ECU...just a thought

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
It seems like there is a rash of KK sleds that have the same sort of problem. Something is happening to the sled to cause the ECU to go into "limp" mode. It sounds likie it is being caused by a multitude of problems but the end result is the same. The sled runs to about 5500 rpms and then quits and we limp back to the trailer. Mine has been found to be a bad air temp sensor in teh air box...Does your sled have any blinking heat sensor lights when the sled is not running hot? That is what happened to me and the flashing lights have proven to be a code from the ECU...just a thought

Now that you mention that, the other day I took it out around here after we got a bunch of snow to see if it would still do it and the temp light was blinking for about 5 or 10 seconds, it bogged, then the blinking quit and ran fine for a while. Does your sled do it all the time or just every now and then, I know the sensor your talking about, but I never thought it could be that. Maybe I will look into that. Did you go to a dealership to figure this out, can they hook it up to a scan tool??
Thanks

spring snow hero: my clutching could have something to do with it to, I'm not much of a clutch know it all, but I do know that with my pipe I am only running about 7-7100 rpm's on a climb, and I know I should be about 76-7800, I talked to a guy who knows the previous owner of my sled the other day and he used to have twins on before I bought it and he didn't think the weights were messed with after they were removed so I'm sure my clutching is probably part of it to. I will probably take my clutches apart and see what they look like.

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it
Trent

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
I could be wrong, but I thought that is what one of speedwerx tech's told me when I called them a few weeks ago.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
have yet to see an AC tach that isnt 200 Rs off....you wanna be running 7600 - 7800 what pipe are you running? I have an SLP single im using till i break in my motor and its calling for 7800 once i get my twins put on ill be runniing a little higher yet.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
have yet to see an AC tach that isnt 200 Rs off....you wanna be running 7600 - 7800 what pipe are you running? I have an SLP single im using till i break in my motor and its calling for 7800 once i get my twins put on ill be runniing a little higher yet.

I'm running a speedwerx single and speedwerx y pipe with the Thing can

Premium Features