• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2003 mc 800

R
Jan 26, 2008
I am looking at buying a 2003 mc 800 with 2400 miles on it. I would like to know if there where any problems with sleds and what to look for. I have only been riding for a couple of years so I would like to know the good and the bad about these sleds. thanks

D
Nov 26, 2007
Tonasket Wa
ZR chassi

All of the 800 and 900 MC where bullet proof. If your coming up from a 500 or 600 you well be impressed with the HP gain. These sleds like to ridden like you stole it. Rear tension set at the lightest setting, limiter straps as long as they go, back off front ski spring tension so that sled well rock from side to side when asked. Learn how to ride it with the skies 6" above snow. Put on a 2 or 3" bar riser with left handle throttle and theres no where you can't get to. Have fun

Z
Dec 6, 2007
Edmonton
All of the 800 and 900 MC where bullet proof. If your coming up from a 500 or 600 you well be impressed with the HP gain. These sleds like to ridden like you stole it. Rear tension set at the lightest setting, limiter straps as long as they go, back off front ski spring tension so that sled well rock from side to side when asked. Learn how to ride it with the skies 6" above snow. Put on a 2 or 3" bar riser with left handle throttle and theres no where you can't get to. Have fun

Good answer!!! Only other thing I would mention is doing the forward steering post mount. Makes a much different, BETTER, sled.

D
Dec 8, 2008
My buddies 04 MC600 blew up at 634 miles(heet in the gas and properly warmed up, just unlucky)-while working on it I also noticed a crack in the primary. Everyone else seems to have good luck with theirs. So look it over good and if everything looks good-I would say that you found a good one. It now has an 04 800 motor in it and I hear it has been working good.

R
Jan 26, 2008
hey thanks for all the info. I've been learning alot on this site about sledding. Any idea what a resonable price would be on these sleds?

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
I would say $3000-3500 would be about what you would expect to pay for one of these sleds. I would go with a 900 if you could find one. I've had both and was alot more impressed with power and torque of the 900. Good luck as others have said mostly bullitproof!

Sprocket

N
Jan 22, 2008
900 vs 800 M1 cats

I actually own both an 800 159 mtn cat and a 900 King Kat. both are 05's and I would just as soon ride the 800 as the KK. It is so much smoother on the power delivery and will get just about anywhere the 900 will go except straight up on the steepest hills.

They both need boss seats, and drop brackets in addition to the above mentioned acessories. I have done some clutching, piping, reeds, boon docker, and afew other mods on the King but the 800 is bone stock with a can. Never had one problem with it...go with the 800...just my two cents worth

G
Oct 24, 2009
cat

my 03 800 is awesome , grease it change chain case oil , clean clutches, use arctic cat oil , handle bar riser boss seat and ride the snot out of it , it a good sled!!!

G
Dec 24, 2008
My 03 800 efi 151"

Top off oil
Top off gas
Turn key on
Pull rope
Ride the HE!! out of it.
Awesome, awesome sled bought mine used last year for $3K and couldn't be happier.
Depending on how tall you are 2-5" riser, set it up for your riding style and conditions then wear the track right off:D

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Like all chaincase cats, check the right side driveshaft bearing every so often. Check out the "best mods for the 1M" thread.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
before you buy check it over real good. Look for chipped powedercoatin/paint on the front a arms, as mentioned before the clutches, check track for frayed areas or missing/torn lugs. You will also want to get a good look and the tunnel where it meets the bulkhead, check for cracks. If you are able to pull the heads off and check the pistons...if you do buy it i would strongly recommend new piston rings. Check the rails mainly the middle bolts for cracks. Have someone lift up the back end and try to turn the track by hand see how well it rolls.

As said before these sleds are bullet proof and are a helluva good ride.

Premium Features