• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another guy that needs help with a King Kat

N
Jan 22, 2008
I have a problem that I hope somebody out there can help me with. My KK runs great until the heat light goes on...then the sled goes into "limp" mode and will not run...The thing is that the sled is not running hot. I have checked the thermostat, the sensor was replaced last season and the water pump is working fine. I can turn the key off, restart it and it will scream until you slow down and then "limp" again. I have checked for exposed wires under the air box and fixed all I have found. From what I have heard, the only thing electrical on the whole system is the sensor. It does not make any difference if I disconnect the sensor wire either. I broke that set of wires last year and ran it for a couple of trips before getting the new one and even though the lights were on the sled ran terrific. What can be the problem? Thanks in advance for any info. I even pulled the thermostat for a while today to make sure it was not taking too long to cycle...no difference

900kingkitty

Nov 27, 2007
terrace b.c, canada
total gueses here but, either a bad ground, check the one from the recoil cover to the bulhead, have you tested the engine to see if it is getting hot, i presume you have, only other thing is wiring to the ecu,or the ecu itself.i believe that temp sensor is a single wire, too cold out to go check mine for ya.so if it is only a single wire it is basically a ground switch, switch closes to ground at a set temp.you could check it in a pot of boiling water with an ohm meter and a thermometer.follow the wires to the ecu and make sure that pins in side the ecu connection haven't come loose or opened up.othewise if your sure no wires are rubbed through i would say ecu.you could also test the wiring and see if there is a gound at the temp sensor wire at the ecu with pin removed from ecu side that would confirm connection up to there , if it does you have to trace more wires, do they run under the bracket that holds the oil tank, i've had wires there rub through too. hopefully this helps. i'll think about it some more and help if i can

N
Jan 22, 2008
there are two wires on the sensor, i know because they both broke on the one last year beause I removed the zip strip on it last year and they vibrated in half right at the sensor so they could not be repaired. I am almost...I say almost, positive that the temps are not high enough to cause a problem but tomorrow Ifire it up, run it and do a temp test with thermometer. The water is circulating and the thermostat is opening OK so I am leaning towards the ecu being the problem. Thanks for the input though.

N
Nov 17, 2008
hey my buddy had the same thing going on with his 05 king last week. the heat light would flash 1 2 pause 1 2 3 pause 1 2 pause 1 2 3 pause. he tried a sensor and a couple of other things. and after a couple of hours and some unneeded parts all it was was a bad wire, i'm not sure were but i know he said it was just a wire. hope this helps.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Is the temp light staying on or is it flashing x amount of times then a pause and then flash x amount of time again? Count the flashes, thats a code and is telling you what is wrong. The wires that rubbed through on my 900 were under the oil tank. Maybe thats what you meant to say or maybe your wires are in a different spot. I would check it again. I fixed a wire, still had a problem and went back in and found 2 more wires rubbed through. Have you cleaned your power valves lately? check the cables for the proper adjustment?
Just a few more things for you to look at.

W

wysnow

Dec 7, 2008
togwotee pass wyoming
i had one do that to me once *** well. i found that the tail light wiring in the taillight. had rud a hole in it and it was grounding it out. u might check there. but it sounds to me that u have a wire some where grounding out.

N
Nov 17, 2008
hi nimrod, is your temp/over heat light flashing or does it just stay on. if its flashing that means its throwing you a code but not accualy over heating. i dont know alot about it. but i will tell you what my friend had on his KK. his would flash 2 times then it would pause for a second or two and then flash 3 more times and it would just keep repeating like that. that means it was throwing him code 23 as in flash twice then three. so he called the dealer and they said a code 23 could either be piston rod,scored cylinder, bad fuel, bad temp guage. or a bad air box temp guage thats in the air box. sorry for all that. anyway after alot of screwing around he said it was accualy the wire that goes to the air box temp guage inside the airbox, i think he said its a blue and black wire. anyway he said his KK would run good and then all of a sudden run bad. this is what he did to fix it. hope this helps if not sorry for the long story. nate

Premium Features