• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat Hifax wear - Help Please

cat4ever72

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
I have an 04 King Cat. It originally had the Attack 20 in normal position. I took off the front outside bogie wheels and replaced with ice scratchers. It wore the highfax a bit quicker that way but no more than a set a season. Then i turned the track around to Hillclimb position. Still didn't wear much more than normal. The bad thing was, i lost about 25-30 mph top end speed.
Then I put a set of Hyperfax slide rails on and the wear factor pretty much went away. They worked awsome. I went a whole season on them with virtually no wear.
This year I decided to put a different track on. I went with the Camoplast Maverick. I like the track but am experiencing some issues. I have put a total of 200 miles on with this track and have already burned up the set of Hyperfax. The track is only clipped every third. Is the rubber where its not clipped creating extra heat and wear?
Should I leave the track the way it is an put my wheels back on and move my ice scratchers to a different place or should i clip the track fully on every bar? I have also noticed that when i had the Attack 20 on and had the rear of the sled lifted it would turn itself with just the motor idling. The Maverick will not turn on its own.
Please help - I just need some input which direction i should go.
Thanks,

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
It stands to reason, that if you took off your front bogies, then you will wear your hyfaxes more quickly.

I put some simmons cooling fins on my skis, and now for the first time ever; I don't worry about pulling over in the powder.

When I first start, I kick snow into the track, but when I am runnng the trail, the cooling fins channel a lot of snow into the track. It's awesome.

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
I removed my front wheels and creamed a set of hyfax with scratchers on, and I run my AT20 real loose, the wheels are back on !!!! Hyperfax are If I remember correct only suppose to be run with a fully clipped track, I know others have run them with every other clip in place but dont know if every third has been done ? Better check to see if you have blistered your track on the non clipped windows :eek: It may be creating alot of heat with the non clipped windows?? As far as the track turning with it off the ground alot do but check and make sure you have about 1/16" of belt out of the secondary on the top, if its not slightly above add a shim !!!! I put the Graphite slides on mine and the wheels back on with scratchers and have 2,000 miles on this set of slides prolly get another 1500 so check the track for blisters and make sure it has the proper tention, check belt deflection and go from their!!!:beer;:beer;:D

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
You wil make alot more heat with the track cliped every other or every third. The Ole ladies track on her Turbo 660 is this way and will barely rotate when up off the trailer, My cat900 will rotate freely with the clips all intact! Mount inner wheels on a cross shaft or the shock shaft 2.75 dia. and you will turn a couple hundred RPM extra down the road. Clutch-up as necesary to achieve correct RPM and enjoy!

Mike

H
hyperfax

The hyperfax slides are supposed to be on a track that is clipped every window. They have some small pads that can be put on the track in place of clips. I would suspect that is what wore the hyperfax so quickly. :confused:
If you go back with the hyperfax slide and need some pads, I have a bag that I bought and never used. Pm me.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I experimented with taking off the 2 idlers at the bend and had same result with stock hyfax. I put them back on because I figure that 1/2 lbs is not worth ruining a track or rail if you do not happen to catch it.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
If you don't mind the outer wheels when side hilling then leave them on. If you put on the 2.75" wheels like the antistab set-up down at the radius of the bend where the heavy wear is it works great! Even better than the original wheels as they are mounted at the back of the radius.

Mike

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I would guess your track is a bit on the tight side. Loosen it up and see if you wear problem gets better.

Premium Features