• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

vent kits

R
Sep 7, 2008
No doubt Brad makes some top knotch **** but couldnt a guy just take some s.s mesh from Home Depot and accomplish the same thing for about 100 bones cheaper? I understand there is probably some differences between a manufactured product and a shade tree product but function is function! Is it really necessary to use the trim rings around the openings to rivit through or could a guy just take a dremel and flip the hood over and flush cut the hood openings and then drill some holes and rivit it right through the hood and mesh?

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
that all depends on how much u value ur time it has been doen many times but u gotta make sure u get some prefilter material to keep snow out.. last i checked the prefilter was pretty expensive. theres some stuff over on hcs. one of the guys did his own

R
Sep 7, 2008
Yeah sure assuming your running the stock 440 you would want to make sure your keeping out as much snow as possible but most people are running the outerwares prefilter anyhow. Mesh is going to stop just as much snow as the gay looking plastic stock vents.

R
Nov 5, 2008
weel since my sled is for racing i cant really use the prefilters on a stock air box now can i? didnt think so and the vents with the rings look alot better and i would think they would hold up alot better

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
I got mine from Island racing, they look the same as brad's but cost 2x as much. $115 is cheap considering what you have into them.

R
Sep 7, 2008
weel since my sled is for racing i cant really use the prefilters on a stock air box now can i? didnt think so and the vents with the rings look alot better and i would think they would hold up alot better

Ok take it down a knotch tough guy!! Why wouldnt you be able to run a prefilter, is there some rule saying your not allowed to run one or what? Anyhow I am sure there are just as many guys running the stock hood with the gay plastic grating (without issue!) as there are running aftermarket screens and racing so your basis for defending a screen kit is useless! I was merely throwing out the idea to anyone who wanted to attempt to make something themselves not debate why one product is superior to another!!

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
i think the main reason for the vent kits is for clearence i had to trim one of my vents to clear my single pipe on my big block swap

1200psi

Nov 26, 2007
logan ut
www.poweraddictionracing.com
I saw some guys on here who made some out of trampoline mesh. wouldn't look as good as Brads though...

i would like to see how good that transfers air throught it. 90 percent of the vents out there are strictly looks they dont do jack **** for air flow. my screens are 60 percent open and acually move air throught them.

Brad

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I bet my vents put a lot more air through then that SLP mesh stuff does. Especially the two front ones in the center of the hood. For them I used wide open house window screen. Its strong and VERY open. The other vents were on the sled when i bought it. I am going to make kits for the headlight holes so i get a lot of air build up for my pods and i am going to mount a small headlight on the right side.

It gets so much air trapped under the hood that when you are riding down the trail doing about 35 mph and you put your hand down by the side panel on the little slots that you can feel the air going through fast.

I would like to buy one of your side panel vents for the clutch side. How well do they work against side hilling and keeping water from getting through?

I have a vent on the rear console i am making as well so there will be a tone of air going in through there.

Last edited:
R
Sep 7, 2008
Man you got alot going on on that hood!!! The vents look good though and that was my reason for asking the question in the first place about someone making their own vent kits. I had no intention of bashing Brads product in any way shape or form because I know he makes great stuff and I use some of his products on my sled to!!

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
My vents cost about $15 to make but took a while. The reason i didn't make them all with window screen is because i ride in to much powder to have that open of a vent all over the hood. If i did my sled would be sucking in nice warm steam which doesn't make horsepower.

My sled came with the rings. I didn't make them and im not sure who does.

Last edited:
I
hood vents

i made the vent rings on the blue iq. the aluminum is not cheap by the time you buy enough to make all the vents, nor is the slp screen. if you value your time at all its not worth it. buy brads vents. i would charge twice that if i were to make another set. i may even buy brads kit for my new iq. he cant be making to much money off them with what he is charging.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I made my own out of some stainles steel mesh and some SLP Prefilter Material. Here is a few pics, I have about 50 bucks into mine they turned out pretty good, but a pain to do. I really like Brad's vents. If I knew about those I probably would of just bought his. That is a great price for those vents!

IMGP0309-1.jpg IMGP0284.jpg IMGP0310.jpg

Premium Features